Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog was acting normally, begging. I threw m a piece and

Customer Question

My dog was acting normally, begging for popcorn. I threw him a piece and he jumped up a bit, caught it but immediately hunched his back, looked like he was going to throw up and didn't. Then he stayed really close to me like he does when he is anxious during a thunder storm. He laid down for a bit but when he got up he again arched his back and sort of "collapsed" onto his haunches and then onto his side. He did get up with some reluctance, went outside had difficulty getting up the back stairs and was lethargic. To try to entice him into activity to see if he was ok, I said "walk?" & he got as excited as usual. I took him up and down the block slowly, he got up the front steps ok. He has done that arching thing again once and just seems lethargic. I did worry about bloat cause earlier this evening he stole a cooked chicken breast eating it rapidly before getting caught. However, I cannot tell if his abdomen is bloating but there has been no change from onset of his symptoms & he does not whine or flinch when I touch his abdomen. He is a mixed lab and border collie.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how your dog is doing?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No preexisting and now he is lying down and whining at times. He does not whine ever. He is pretty demanding and if he wants something from us he either growls or barks. Sending him to the vet as soon as they open. Afraid that I will regret not bringing him to the 24 hour ER service. He still is reluctant to get up hut he does. I took him outside and he urinated and drank some water.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes while I type to answer your question.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see a dog arching/hunching their back it is either a sign of abdominal or back pain. Having a history of jumping for the popcorn I feel comfortable in saying that he has back pain. He could have either pulled a muscle or a disc prolapsed and is putting pressure on the spinal cord.

In this case, I would definitely have him checked by family veterinarian this morning. They will start him on prescription and anti inflammatory and pain killing medications. The sooner he is started on these medications the better the outcome and quicker recovery. In the meantime, rest him; no running or jumping, activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash for the next several weeks.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter