Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our dog is licking s paw and it is swollen at the site.

Customer Question

Our dog is licking his paw and it is swollen at the site. Should I give him some Benadryl? He is a pit bull who weighs 72 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Finn is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Certainly Benadryl should do not do any harm or make things worse and sometimes it could help in this sort of situation. Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. { Thus 72 mg twice a day in in your case for a 72 pound dog }

2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

3. Of course if Finn does not quickly improve or if you become further concerned then you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. He is sleeping now so I won't wake him to give him the Benadryl now. The spray that I used on him earlier stopped the itchiness and he stopped licking his paw. I will phone his vet in the morning if there are any more problems. Thank you again!

Hello again ,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. However I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Finn's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Finn is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his swollen paw.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.