Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 15 year Maltese did take 5 mg of prednisone days.I want

Customer Question

My 15 year Maltese did take 5 mg of prednisone for 2 days.I want to stop her taking a medication. Can I just stop it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.I will wait for your written reply,Customer

Hello againCustomerand thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Normally you have to wean a dog off Prednisone slowly but this only applies for much longer courses where the body has got used to this drug over a period of time. However where a dog has only been on the drug for a very short time this does not apply, so in your case you would be taking very little risk in just stopping the drug completely now.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually my dog did take 5 mg of prednisolone . Is this medication same as prednisone?

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Yes this is just the same drug so my answer still applies.

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ,Dr Scott for your answer.regards. Customer

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. I will.

.

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the prednisolone.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?