Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is uncomfortable with swollen anal glands. Is it

Customer Question

My dog is uncomfortable with swollen anal glands. Is it necessary to go to an emergency clinic tonight or may I wait and go to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Lilli is uncomfortable however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If this is just a problem confined to her anal glands though I know this may be a little uncomfortable for her at present I can tell you that these sorts of situations are rarely serious at all and most of them could easily wait until you can see your regular vet tomorrow.

2. " What would help her feel more comfortable? " : Aspirin is really about the only safe over the counter human pain killer for dogs and this could make her a little more comfortable overnight. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

3. If the glands are just blocked then although I know this is not everyone's cup of tea it is possible to unblock them yourself quite easily, watch this video for a demo : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Lilli is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the swollen anal glands.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.