Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an 8 year old female minpin. She hasn't eaten her

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old female minpin. She hasn't eaten her food for 4 days now. She will drink water, but I'm very concerned. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Has she got any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor }. Lethargy perhaps?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does sleep quite a bit. I have only had her for less than a year. We live in Denver and the temperature has been quite warm. She had a small bowel movement this morning, and she tried to eat it. I stopped her before she could.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Stella is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I know this may be what you do not want to hear but what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Stella over sooner rather than later.

2. I say the above because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she is not eating and is lethargic that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection.

Of course I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if Stella is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible.

3. In the meantime until you can get her to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is taking fluids regularly and try and tempt her to eat by whatever means or treats.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Stella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect infection.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stella is still not eating. Her stools are more runny today, and seems she's straining to do the little bit she does. She also seems to be shivering at times.

Hello again,

Thanks for the update, I am sorry Stella is not improving, I think the thing to do now is to have a vet check her over without delay.

Better safe than sorry ...

Regards,

Dr Scott