Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My mini Austrialian Shepherd has what looks like a bite

Customer Question

My mini Austrialian Shepherd has what looks like a bite below her right ear, it's swelled up to size of baseball.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping I can help you with your dog Lulu today? So you know what bit LuLu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure, thinking it might be a spider? Lulu has no symptoms like vomiting or illness

Is there swelling anywhere else? Is there anything draining from the wound? With the swelling I would be concerned about an possible abscess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No swelling any where else. The swelling is about size of golf ball and it seems to be leaking clear liquid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lulu is alert too.

Yep it sounds like an abscess. These occur because a bite introduces bacteria in the skin through the wound and pus start to develop underneath the skin. Lulu will likely need antibiotics and the abscess may need to be lanced by your veterinarian. Does she seem like she is in pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not in pain. It seems to be draining on its own.

Oh good to hear that she is not in pain and that it is draining on its own. To encourage it to continue draining, you may want to apply a warm compress on it for no longer then 5 minutes. You definitely should have her seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible because once the area stops draining then there is a risk that it may rupture because of the accumulation of pus.