petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog has several problems that are worsening - difficult

Customer Question

my dog has several problems that are worsening - difficult to get treatment due to lack of $ - he is 9 year old lab/english pointer mix. (1) he has a widespread rash, blotchy red, over entire body; (2) he has pappaloma, with warts along right side of mouth (in and out), layered, plus on tongue and under chin, plus 1 wart, now as big as quarter around, inside opening to right ear canal; (3) continual ear infections; (4) in past week, he has patterned ear loss such as on left and right ears going from fold to the tip of ear. He has a history of skin rash but never this severe - we thought previous rash was diet-related and he is on limited-ingredient, grain free diet. Yesterday I started him on bentonite clay, 1 tsp 2x/day (mixed with water into paste) as I think that part of what is going on is exposure to toxins (not sure where this occurred but we live in apartment so don't know what is used on grass and landscaping). I brought him to a dermatologist 2 months ago and she diagnosed him with MRSP along with pappaloma, which we already knew about. Can you help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
After reading Oreo's history and treatment so far, your best bet is to continue working with the veterinary dermatologist that you have been so far. Until the MRSP is cleared up completely, you will not be able to evaluate any underlying skin conditions, especially related to food or environmentally triggered allergies. I suspect he has some degree of Atopic dermatitis based on his history, but with the complication of MRSP, it will be difficult to try to manage that until the infection is cleared. Chronic ears can be a challenge, but the dermatologist would be the best one to manage those as well.
This is really not the best forum to seek help on a case as involved as his. The person offering advice has to be able to review his complete medical history as well as what medications and food trial were performed at any specific time and how he reacted to that. This person should also have an "in person" evaluation of his current lesions. That can not be offered in an online setting and would be a disservice. If you are having financial constraints, make sure to discuss that with the dermatologist and they will be able to help prioritize the best way to proceed.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oreo. How is everything going?
Dr Z