Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

15 year old lhasa apso on vetoryl, flouxetine, was just

Customer Question

hi........15 year old lhasa apso on vetoryl for cushings, flouxetine for anxiety, was just given tramadol for pain and clavamox antibiotic for diseased tooth. Two days ago, dog seems much weaker, is having trouble walking on our hardwood floors, and I think is constipated. I just did some research, and it seems tramadol may be the culprit for the weakness and may react with the flouxetine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Yes, we can see some sedation from Tramadol in dogs. It's usually not all that severe, but coupled with Fluoxetine it could be more pronounced. The good thing, is that Tramadol is metabolized pretty quickly. It should go away within 12-24 hours.

If you need to give something for pain, you may want to talk with your vet about using Gabapentin. This is another commonly used pain medication. It doesn't have the sedation side effects like Tramadol. It's also safe to give with what he's already on.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.