Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Lab And American Dog mix. Has red area between two of her

Customer Question

Lab And American Bull Dog mix. Has red area between two of her toes on one hind foot. Constantly licking it. What can I do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Libby has this area of concern. I can give you some basic guidelines for the foot but if there is no change then please consider a veterinary exam. There could potentially be a foreign body in there or an infection between the toes that requires medical intervention.

-Applying cool compresses for ten minute intervals to the areas throughout the day to numb and prevent irritation from progressing

-No licking! Licking will introduce oral bacteria to the area which can result in infection. If necessary purchase a cone at the pet store or use a sock to prevent licking
-Epsom salt soaks of the foot twice daily for ten minute intervals
-Follow with an oatmeal-based dog shampoo on the area once to twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and dry well

-Since there is licking then please use benadryl 1 mg/ pound to relieve the itch and allow her to rest comfortably
-If her appetite wanes, the swelling and redness and itch is not subsiding, lethargy, any concerns whatsoever I would have your vet evaluate her tomorrow to ensure no other medical intervention is necessary
-Please minimize topicals to the area which can trap in moisture (especially between toes) and progress any possible infection. If you do apply anything it should be a 1% cortisone cream thin layer then wiped off after ten minutes to minimize ingestion or absorption

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!