Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has not really eaten over the last few days. I know

Customer Question

My dog has not really eaten over the last few days. I know its not good, but I gave him a cheeseburger to see if he would eat something. He just threw it up. This is the second time he has thrown up in about three days. He is a ten year old boxer and it has been very hot where we live so I keep him in most of the time. He is drinking and urinating and he does poop, but not much.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today. I can give you some basic guidelines for Bert but if he is not improving or progressively declining I strongly urge a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and how best to get him comfortable today.
1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode and minimize water intake to allow the stomach to rest for a while
2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours to test the stomach and ensure that he possibly can hold down food at this point
3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 20mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 40 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)
4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Bert comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.
Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Valerie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bert. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman