Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs gums are usually pink but she got fleas and has been

Customer Question

My dogs gums are usually pink but she got fleas and has been biting a lot now her gums are a brownish black. Is this from the friction of biting so much or is there a bigger issue?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she showing any other symptoms?

2- Are you 100% certain the gums in that are were pink before?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms. Everything else is totally normal. Breathing, eating, drinking, urinaring, defecating, she doesn't seem off in anyway. I'm 99.9% sure her gums were a healthy pink color. Recently when I was out of town she stayed at my parents and got fleas which she never gets so she had been biting and itching a lot so maybe it's the friction from biting so much? Where her canine teeth overlap has always been a small black area but only where the tooth would overlap the gum but right now it's all over.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, some dogs could have normal brown or black pigment in their gums; that would be normal for that dog. When we see discoloration this could be secondary to either a localized problem as in the case of certain type of tumors like melanoma. Or, even part of a systemic disease. Can chronic friction or irritation cause darkening? I have never seen this in the gums. But, in any case of chronic friction of the skin or membrane you can have inflammatory cells (macrophages) release melanin which is a chemical that will cause hyperpigmentation (darkening). So, could this have been caused by the chronic friction scratching as a result of fleas? Theoretically, I guess we can say yes. But, I have never seen that in clinical practice. For this reason, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian including a blood test to make sure everything is ok systemically.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amber,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lulu. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter