Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a labradoodle puppy 4 months old he seems to have a

Customer Question

i have a labradoodle puppy 4 months old he seems to have a curveature in his spine is this normal or a problem later he is very active shows no problem in his play
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. Curvature of the spine exists mainly in two forms - scoliosis - sideways curvature - and kyphosis - excessive outward curvature of the spine, causing hunching of the back. Neither is normal and both can be associated with other anatomical abnormalities of the vertebra - hemivertebra and block vertebra, e.g. These anatomical problems may or may not cause clinical symptoms but if they do, those symptoms may arise at an indeterminate time. X-rays of Max's spine can give you an idea of just how affected he is but MRI is the imaging of choice for evaluating the likelihood of neurologic problems - ataxia/"drunken sailor" and urinary or fecal incontinence, mainly - arising in the future. It's a positive prognostic sign that Max currently appears unaffected but he's not "out of the woods" until we can evaluate his spine more thoroughly as mentioned above and find that his likelihood of having problems latter are minimal to none.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.