Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 10 year old cocker spaniel developed lameness of rt nd

Customer Question

My 10 year old cocker spaniel developed lameness of rt hind leg (no injury) last night .Got baby aspirin ,rest had a good night, better mobility in am but restless, whimpering -not a pain whimper,can not find a comfy spot to rest .eat and drank well yesterday ,today is not interested in usual breakfast snack. Difficulty(some) squatting to pee and poop.Need advise Go to the Vet school ER today or wait till tomorrow to see her vet What can I give her to feel better, She is otherwise healthy and up to date on veterinary care
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

I am so sorry Emilia is not feeling well.

With an injury as you describe it can commonly result in difficulty finding a comfortable position. And whether the reduced appetite is related to her discomfort or the aspirin has upset her stomach is not yet determined.

Below is a link to a pain assessment form that is wonderfully helpful in determining her level of discomfort and whether additional pain management is necessary. If she is restless and having difficulty finding a comfortable position for more than a few hours I would consider a veterinary er to get her appropriate pain medication that will hopefully allow her to rest comfortably today.

Pain assessment score here

You can try a few things:
Pepcid 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours (famotidine) to settle her stomach
Boiled white rice and lean meat to entice her appetite
Keeping her quiet today which means restricting her access to steps/ stairs and furniture on and off
Benadryl 1 mg/ pound which can help allow her to rest but will not help with her pain level

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emilia. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman