Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have an 8.5 year old maltipoo. He usually a happy spunky

Customer Question

I have an 8.5 year old maltipoo. He usually a happy spunky guy that likes treats and walks. Starting yesterday morning he wouldn't respond to either of these things. He also likes to stand by the fence and bark and wouldn't do that either. No eating and very lethargic. Any help is appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Scout yet today. I can give you some basic guidelines but if he is not showing signs of improvement I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause of his symptoms and how best to get him comfortable and feeling better soon.

-Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily for the next 3 days with water (crushed if needed) to settle his stomach
- Offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef 30 minutes after the pepcid. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
- Get him up and moving even if just a few laps around the backyard, if this is abdominal cramping mobility will help reduce cramping, nausea, and increase gi motility.
- If he is not improving or is continuing to progress please seek veterinary attention for Scout
- Try flavoring the water with a little no salt broth or karo syrup. If he goes more than 24 hours without food please use the karo thin layer on your finger along his gumline to ensure his blood glucose levels do not drop significantly. No need to swallow just applying to his gums will allow him to maintain his sugar levels

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!