Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 16yrs old. He seen 2 veterinarian. My complaint

Customer Question

My dog is 16yrs old. He seen 2 veterinarian. My complaint was charlie(Dog) vomiting each meal. Vet said to change his diet to boiled chicken with rice. He ate for the chicken for 3days total and stop eating it, I continue to different food still vomit not every meal but still vomiting and puking. Withe the medicine giving to him sulfasalazin 500mg and metronidazole (gen) 250mg and blood work, X-ray and ultrasound he is the same as it was nothing changed. Please help!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of Charlie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

When blood work and imaging haven't revealed anything untoward in a vomiting patient, I'm usually left with scoping and biopsy of my patient's gastrointestinal tract. I understand, however, that such a stressful and invasive diagnostic may not be appropriate for a 16 year old dog. I'm looking for an infiltrative malignancy within the GI tract such as lymphoma which might be missed in X-rays or ultrasound. Severe inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a reasonable differential diagnosis but should have been apparent in the ultrasound. Pancreatitis can be elusive to diagnose unless apparent in the ultrasound or a specCPL blood test - which is most sensitive for identifying the presence of pancreatitis - is positive for pancreatitis.

Hi Minda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?