Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

This morning my dog woke up panting heavily. In the past

Customer Question

This morning my dog woke up panting heavily. In the past couple if hours he has been listless and now has passed blood in his urine and feces. He is now too week to stand. Drank a kit of water earlier but refused everything since. He didn't eat yesterday which sometimes he doesn't. Now his tongue is hanging limp and has become pale. He is 11 y/o Akita mix. Other than not eating yesterdays he was reasonably normal except nit eating as much in the past week. He cried out when defacating Vet closed today. I live way out of town abd waiting for call back
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear about Wolfie. We do not have any ability to help him at home. It is critical to get in to the closest emergency vet available. No choice. At his age, and to be suddenly passing blood in both urine and feces, suggests a possible bleeding disorder. This may be associated with a possible cancerous cause.

So sorry that he is feeling sick and this has come on so sudden. But, with the severity of weakness, labored breathing and paleness, he is clearly anemic. I so wish I could do more, but a emergency vet is our best bet.

Testing may immediately include x-rays and a blood profile to ascertain the cause and to determine his prognosis.

Wish I could do more.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Wolfie. How is everything going?