Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 3 week old puppies are not pooping...the mom made them in

Customer Question

My 3 week old puppies are not pooping...the mom made them in first week but nothing in the past few days....could it be her milk or not feeding them enough..she won't stay long with them and I have no mess to clean up and 7 of them should be pooping machines...I am worried about giving them enough milk...they only pee and she watches them to see about pooping but nothing...then only licks them to pee...can I feed them something this young
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If they are not crying constantly and have swollen bellies there is a good chance mom is ingesting their feces. You can definitely stimulate them as mom would with a warm clothe in a upward motion over the rectums and that should help if they are constipated. Unfortunately anything else would definitely need to be done by your veterinarian or a veterinary er

You can purchase a puppy milk replacer and be supplementing their milk ingestion with mom's milk. If you are able to weigh them daily and they are gaining then this is a big sign they are getting enough nutrition and supplementation should not be necessary. In addition if they are not crying and are thriving those are also great signs.

You can purchase a canned puppy formula. 3 weeks is a little too young, we often do not begin to supplement until 4 weeks old but if you are going to purchase milk replacer I would also try the canned formula for them to try as well

But there are no supplements I would advise at this tender age. Supplementing the milk to ensure they are hydrated +/- canned formula, testing mom's mammary glands to ensure there is still proper milk production also should be evaluated

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you all!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Liza,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman