Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a problem with my dog's left ear. My dog is a 4 year

Customer Question

I have a problem with my dog's left ear. My dog is a 4 year old pit bull that weighs 75lbs; male. His ear's have not been cropped or cut whatever you want to call it; he has his complete ear. Last week I noticed his left ear had some swelling inside just the top half of the upper ear. I inspected the area well and found no bite marks or places that might look like a bee sting or something. The next day the swelling became larger in the upper half of his top part of the ear. I given it a few days now and the swelling has not gone down nor seems to be getting any larger for that matter, but still hasn't showed no signs of going away. Seems that the place in question doesn't bother him; he doesn't dig at it nor shake his head like it bothers him at all. This swelling is only in the left ear and is only effecting the upper, outer part of his ear. I check it everyday and it seems like some days it's kinda softer feeling, like it might be going down (the swelling) and other days it's hard
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question about your guy. Based on what you're seeing, it sounds very suspect that he has an aural (ear) hematoma. Somehow a blood vessel was broke in the cartilage of the ear and it formed a pocket of blood. This pocket will stay there till it is slowly resorbed and scar tissue replaces that area. It can be addressed by your vet by an evaluation there and they can drain it or do surgery on it to allow it to drain better. Why did the blood vessel break? An ear infection / scratching at the ear or shaking of the head is the typical cause. If there is an underlying ear issue, this needs to be treated by your vet. I would get him to your vet for them to evaluate the situation and go over the options they have to offer. Here is a great link on this.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=566