Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 16 pound Maltipoo has developed food allergies. I'm

Customer Question

My 16 pound Maltipoo has developed food allergies. I'm trying to locate which protein maybe the culprit and would like to know if l-glutamine would help in the event her allergies are due to leaky gut.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Sophie yet today and she is having food allergies

I imagine that the hydrolyzed protein diet worked and you are now testing the waters for which protein she is allergic to. I have been through this with my own dog and got to the point that she had recurrent diarrhea with almost any proteins and gave up so am keeping her on the hydrolyzed protein diet!

My recommendation is always to start with the most novel of proteins. In addition, if she gets diarrhea from the turkey formula (I would start with simply just adding that protein and no carbs to her hydrolyzed protein diet and see if she gets diarrhea after one week, if no diarrhea then try a limited ingredient diet of that protein) then I always recommend avoiding any poultry or "winged" animal. Similar if there is a beef allergy, avoid any hooved animals.

So novel proteins can be bison (ground bison is available at most grocery stores), Salmon, Kangaroo, or anything else that typically is not found in over the counter foods. If you find one that she is not allergic to then transitioning to a limited ingredient diet of that type meaning it only has bison and brown rice for example. So no grain nor carb initially just the cooked meat of that animal to see if there is diarrhea.

I typically advise starting with bison because it is less reactive than most but you are welcome to start with another variety of meat readily available in your area

I hope this makes sense, I would not add anything like l-glutamine until you hone in on a protein she is able to digest without issue. Less is more in situations of food allergies. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!