Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Of course, things happen on a weekend. I wrote about finding

Customer Question

Of course, things happen on a weekend. I wrote about finding a 2 year old female dog and the use of some antibiotics I have. I now have another question. I believe she has mange, but I don't know what type. Is there anything I can do, as far as a shampoo
to help clean her up before taking her to the vet's tomorrow? I have neem oil, no more tears shampoo, apple cider vinegar, on hand. She has an open wound on the top of her head, and am using peroxide + H20 to cleanse this. Then applying TAO. Just want to giver
her a bath today. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

So nice of you to take care of this dog. So, if she has skin lesions it could be due to mange, but it may also be just a bacterial or yeast infection. Your vet tomorrow will need to perform a skin scraping looking not just for mites, but also for bacteria/yeast. In the meantime, I recommend you not use all this that you listed above. Instead, use a good cleansing shampoo such as Selsun Blue (original). Bathe once today. Make sure not to get into her eyes. This really helps with bacterial infection and to cleanse the crusty material. You are welcome to apply topical antibiotic solution to any open sores, but do NOT apply any topical corticosteroids (e.g., hydrocortisone) because if this is mites, it may make it worse, depending on the type of mite. We must wait to determine if steroids can be used until after a skin scraping.

For itching it is safe to give an antihistamine such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) which you can purchase or people at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. It may cause some drowsiness, though.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susanne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Caroline. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey