Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a 7 month old Rott she is throwing up yellow liquid

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old Rott she is throwing up yellow liquid with white foam. She just lays there and when you get her up she whines and goes back down like she is very week. She will not eat or drink now. She was fine earlier today. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 7 month old Rott girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are a number of possible causes for these symptoms including anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around your home or yard she could get into), to an acute gastroenteritis, or even parvo virus (hopefully your girl is up to date with her vaccinations).

If Bella is still constantly vomiting and not drinking a lot - then the worry is that she could quickly become dehydrated. If this is the case, then you are best getting her seen at your local ER Vet now if at all possible. In the meantime, do try and encourage her to drink if you can. If she isn't so interested, you could try enticing her with a warm chicken broth (just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup).

For now, keep a close eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl. I would recommend with holding food for now, but try and encourage her to drink something as mentioned above. You may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight twice daily and you can read more about the use of pepcid in dogs here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see how she does. If there is a change I will let you know.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

That would be great - yes please let me know.

Sorry - I am unable to carry out live calls at this point in time. If you have any further questions or concerns however, please just reply to this thread at any time.

Don't forget to rate my service when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would follow up quickly to see how you are doing with Bella?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had her shots but still got Parvo. The vet took her Sunday night and yesterday thought she would make it. She was up and walking still on IV. He checked on her about 5:30 this morning and she had started bleeding again and had passed away.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that. Parvo is such a nasty virus and unfortunately very hard for puppies to recover from. It may be worth having your vet discuss your girl's case with the vaccination company to find out what could have happened here.

Thoughts,

Dr E