Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I adopted a shih tzu from the animal shelter today. He is

Customer Question

I adopted a shih tzu from the animal shelter today. He is very sick coughing and runny nose. I gave him a dose of cetirizine psuedophedrine just now because he is restless and can't sleep for coughing constantly. After what I've just read I am very concerned!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave it to him within the last 30 min.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
How much pseudoephedrine did you give (mg)?
How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 120 mg. He weighs about 15 lbs. I stayed with him all night, and he slept very little. He is still very restless constantly moving around. How long will it take this to wear off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again, I don't know his personality yet, I just adopted him yesterday afternoon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is drinking water and eating. He will go to the vet Monday, but what can I do for his cough now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now he is actually quite lucky if these are the only signs he has had at a dose this size. Therefore, if it has been so long already since he had this, then we need to monitor for another 24 hours for these signs to pass while keeping him calm in a dimly lit quiet room. Otherwise the only real option to settle this quicker would be to have him treated with fluids by his vet. So, this is a large overdose but his signs are mild, so we'd want to monitor and would expect this to settle over the next day.
Otherwise for the cough treatment at this point, try plain honey to soothe his throat.
Take care,
Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cecil. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up taking him to the on call vet Sunday....then to our regular vet Monday. It took about 24 hours for him to get over the medication. He is still a very sick little puppy though (coughing constantly and lots of congestion). Praying these antibiotics and other meds start working soon. I am so glad we adopted him when we did...he needed out of that shelter!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are a start for rescuing Cecil.
And I am glad to hear that he is on treatment for that cough (which is likely infection from the shelter). Hopefully, he will settle with treatment and you can get on with enjoying life with your new companion.
All the best,
Dr. B.