Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog, Cocker spaniel 15yr old, just swallowed a ice cream

Customer Question

My dog, Cocker spaniel 15yr old, just swallowed a ice cream stick which is Haagen Dazs's about 4 inches long 0.8inch width
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The edges are rounded
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wnat to have an answer before it is too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your Cocker swallowed an ice cream stick and I understand your concern.

The problem will be the stick is wood, which can splinter and can be sharp, and it could cause an obstruction or get stuck even though the edges are rounded.

Because he's a smaller guy and especially if he didn't chew up the stick into small pieces then the chance of an obstruction is much higher.

Since this just happened taking him to the emergency clinic and having them retrieve the stick via endoscopy would be the safest thing to do.

I do not recommend inducing vomiting at home in a dog this small that ate a long, relatively stiff foreign body. Should the stick become stuck in his esophagus as he tries to vomit it back up we want him at the emergency clinic where that can be treated immediately. It may come up fine, but we want to be prepared for possible problems. I also don't recommend letting things go as with a foreign body this large it will be virtually impossible to pass.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ej,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Summer. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara