Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My daughter's dog, a pointer dalmatian mix has an issue

Customer Question

My daughter's dog, a pointer dalmatian mix has an issue with going to the bathroom in the house. She is let out often so that's not the issue, she tends to do it more in the morning even after she's been let out. We have tried everything to get her to
stop. She also "leaks" when she is asleep, it doesn't smell like urine, in fact there often isn't a smell and on white sheets it's clear. We notice it more every few months or so but it still happens occasionally here and there. Is there anything we can do
to prevent the accidents and the "leaking" ? She is spayed and is 2years and 4 months. She was rescued from a home that had more than 60 dogs there around the age of 6 months. We've had her since she was almost 7 months. Gone through puppy training, she asks
to go outside when needed, etc...just at a loss with her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm Dr. Gene, thanks for your question!

Sometimes, spayed female dogs become incontinent as they get a little older and this results in leakage of urine, which is most common when they are laying down, sleeping or otherwise resting somehow. In some cases, they may dribble urine as they are walking as well. If you are noticing that Lana urinates in the house in that manner, rather than squatting / posturing, that her water consumption has not changed and that she is not urinating/straining small frequent amounts outside (as if it hurt to urinate) then incontinence is the most likely. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to treat in most cases (see this link: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1724, but she should first be screened for a urinary tract infection and other disease that can cause an increase in urination before treatment for incontinence is instituted. This will involve at least blood testing for kidney/liver function and a urine analysis, but may require additional testing, depending on results; once all of that is normal, then I would try medication, which is successful in most cases.

Hope this helps!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lana. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its the same. We cant afford to take her to the vet just yet, so we are saving to get her the help she needs. And she usually squats to pee in the house but when she lays down she will just start licking herself after wards so she doesnt even know its happening or just doesnt respond until afterwards. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Got it. Thanks for the additional information. I hope you are able to get her seen soon and get the issue resolved. Let me know if any other questions come up and please be sure to rate my service if you've found it helpful! Take care.