Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My 9 year old lab has been randomly hacking....now she is

Customer Question

My 9 year old lab has been randomly hacking....now she is throwing up dog food w/in 20 mins of eating. I have made boiled chicken and rice and that stayed down better, but she is also throwing up yellow bile when she hasn't eaten. Her energy is goo and she is drinking and going to the bathroom fine. I have been giving her plain yogurt and that stays down. She has been doing this for about 4 days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! Thanks for your question.

Throwing up food shortly after eating is suspicious of regurgitation (which is passive passage of ingested material from the esophagus, not the stomach, out through the mouth); vomiting is an active process in which the stomach contracts and forcefully expels the ingested material, usually via abdominal contractions and retching.

Regurgitation is often associated with esophageal problems, such as ulceration, strictures and megaesophagus. Megaesophagus is a condition in which the esophagus is dilated and does not function properly - it does not propel the food into the stomach. Megaesophagus can be a congenital condition (present at or shortly after birth) or it can be complication of other diseases (most commonly hypothyroidism, i.e. low thyroid levels and myasthenia graves, which is an uncommon neurologic condition).

It could still be vomiting, of course, which could indicate gastrointestinal or pancreatic problems, such as presence of foreign material in the stomach/intestines (likely without blockage at this time), pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), or intestinal tumors...

Since it's been 4 days already but she seems otherwise fine, I would wait until Monday and see how she is; if regurgitation/vomiting continues, I would take her in to see your vet on Monday and have some x-rays taken to help rule out problems listed above. If she loses appetite or becomes lethargic, I would take her in sooner. For now, feed her small frequent meals of the bland meals you've been using.

Hope this helps!