Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 6 1/2 week old doberman and it does not seem to be

Customer Question

I have a 6 1/2 week old doberman and it does not seem to be eating and all he seems to want to do is sleep and only get up to use the restroom. He seems to have black diarrhea. and I've been giving him canine milk for since yesterday orally
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we got him from the breeder he was taking an oral medication for coccidiosis but finished the medication a couple days ago and he has also had all his shots. He is very lethargic and acts like it is hard for him to walk at times because he stumbles. I have tried giving him softened puppy food and wet dog food and he doesn't seem interested in either. He would eat some of the canine milk but not that much.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Otis. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The black diarrhea is very concerning. When the stool is black, it may indicate internal bleeding. If you look at his gums, are they bright pink in color, or do his gums look pale? If his gums look pale pink or white to you, internal bleeding is even more likely.

He may be weak, and that is why he is lethargic and stumbling.

I am very worried about him. If he were mine, I would be looking at the diarrhea under a microscope to see if there are blood or parasites in it. I would do a test of his red blood cell count to see if he is anemic. I would consider testing for parvo virus as well, a viral disease of puppies. He can still get parvo after a vaccination; a dog is not fully protected until they have the full series of vaccinations.

Let me know what other questions you have. I think he should see a veterinarian, as soon as possible, especially if his gums look pale.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are pale...we will get him to the vet. I thought he might just had depression from leaving his litter. Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating. I hope he is doing better soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Otis doing?