Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My malemute dog ingested up to 6 blocks of Weatherblok XT

Customer Question

My malemute dog ingested up to 6 blocks of Weatherblok XT mouse bait. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. This is an extremely toxic rodenticide. If he just ingested it (within 4 hours), I would give him 3% hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. 1 Tablespoon (15ml) per 15 lbs of body weight should do. You can repeat in 10 minutes if no vomiting occurs. If it has been over 4 hours, inducing vomiting most likely won't do any good. No matter if you induce vomiting or not, though, he needs to get to your vet's office ASAP. Even after vomiting some of it up, it is very likely that he has still absorbed some of this toxin. It will cause him to be unable to clot his blood, which will lead to bleeding from different orifices and into the abdomen and chest until they bleed out. Signs typically take 5-7 days to start showing, so they don't showing signs immediately, but you do not want them to get to that point. Your vet may induce further vomiting, give activated charcoal to bind the toxin, check blood work and start on Vitamin K, which is needed for clotting (this toxicity block the natural production of Vitamin K in the liver). Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John