Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has developed this same problem in both eyes, in the

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has developed this same problem in both eyes, in the last few days. She's only about 2 years old. She is eating well, but has become very lethargic.
Can I use Mefenamic 250mg?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rosie's eyes. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Mefenamic acid is not used much in dogs, and can be toxic. How much does Rosie weigh?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

What is the problem she is having with her eyes?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kerry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I put her on amoxacilin for 5 days, and her eyes got better. I had to do something, as she could hardly see out of them. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I couldn't get onto my gmail until today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say that her bottom eyelid was covering her eyes. That was the problem.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear her eyes are better. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wwanted to know how to cure the eyes. And what would cause the bottom eyelid to come up over the Wye.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Did the Amoxicillin not cure them?
Is it the third eyelid that came over the eye, the membrane in the corner? Or his lower eyelid?
Your original question was whether you could use Mefenamic, which I answered. To cure the eye problem, I would need to know exactly what eye problem he has. It could be a scratched cornea, an infection, an eye injury. Many different eye conditions cause the eyelid to cover the eye. Without being able to see and examine him, it is hard for me to know which problem he has.
Could you post a picture of his eye? That might help.
He may need antibiotic eye drops, or he might need eye drops with steroids in them, or he might need a procedure called grid keratectomy depending on which eye problem he has.