Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 1 year old French bulldog tore up s bed last night and I

Customer Question

My 1 year old French bulldog tore up his bed last night and I am assuming he ingested bits of the foam. He is refusing food, has whitish diarrhea and has been vomiting white / yellow foam. Should I be concerned or should I keep him off food and wate until this evening?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can he keep water down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he can keep water down. His belly doesn't seem sensitive to the touch and his gums are pink.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
First, I am very glad to hear that he is showing none of those signs I asked about and is comfortable. Still when our dogs eat non-edible items like this and then develop signs of GI upset, we do need to tread with care.
To start, if we have vomiting but he can keep water down, then we can choose to rest his stomach for a few hours. Water should be left down (in small volumes) at all times but food can be withheld. As well, you can also consider starting him on an antacid. These can reduce nausea to at least help stop his vomiting. In regards ***** ***** antacid options that you can use, we often will use:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
When using these, we do tend to do so 20 minutes before food and do plan to check with his vet first if he does have any ongoing health issues or is on any other medication.
Once he is more settled with the above, we can start him on a light diet. This will be better tolerated by the stomach to reduce nausea and diarrhea. Examples of a light diet we can use include cooked rice with boiled chicken, white fish or scrambled egg. Whichever you choose you can add a spoonful of pumpkin or all-bran as a fiber source to further encourage the foam to move through the GI. You can also add cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to these meals to encourage it to slip through without getting caught.
While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him for any signs of trouble. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, anorexia, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, restlessness, or black feces. If you see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible obstruction and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.
Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Therefore, since his symptoms are just GI upset based, we'd want to monitor for those above noted concerns while starting the above steps to encourage him to pass this foam. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. Of course, any hint of those red flag signs or if he keeps vomiting despite our supportive care; then we'd want Fritz to see his vet for a check +/- xray to assess his GI situation and make sure this isn't causing him any issue.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )