Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Woke up this morning to find our dogs penis is swollen and

Customer Question

Woke up this morning to find our dogs penis is swollen and stuck outside the skin. It looks like it's getting raw also probably from him licking it. It's Saturday and can't get a vet on the phone.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
As I am sure you can appreciate, this is a very serious situation for Diesel. If the penis is stuck outside the sheath for an extended period of time, we can see swelling but over time it can progress to a loss of circulation, pain (which may be why he is licking it raw), and death of the penile tissue.
Now in this situation, we need to act quick. You have made a good start but we need to be more aggressive with treatment if it is still out. So, as long as he will allow you to without risk to yourself, we need to work to the penis back into the sheath as soon as possible to avoid damage due to the blocked circulation. Now if this penis isn't terribly swollen yet (which I am worried that it is already), then you need to first very gently retract sheath, cleanse the penis (with warm soapy water) to remove anything trapping (ie hair, discharge) the penis outside its sheath.
Afterwards, pat it dry and use a good dose of the lubricant (ie KY jelly) you have and try to gently slide the penis back into the sheath. You can then replace the penis by moving it forward and then sliding it back in. Once in and circulation restored, the penile swelling will usually settle. Of course, you'd want to monitor him closely for further episodes and have him checked over by his vet when you reach them (to address any infection, tissue damage, and general health).
If you find that the penis is very swollen and cannot be slipped back into the prepuce even with lube, then you can add fine sugar or honey to the lubricant. Via osmosis, these will pull fluid from the penis to help reduce swelling so that it can be replaced. For very severe cases, ice packing or use of anti-inflammatory drugs (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl) may be required.
If you try these and cannot replace the penis, then we will need the local vet or ER vet's aid will be required. In some very severe cases, we actually have to surgically open the prepuce to restore penile circulation (otherwise the penis tissue will die and emergency surgery would be required to salvage him).
Overall, if the penis is trapped outside the prepuce (and appearing red, inflamed, swollen) then this is an emergency situation for Diesel and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If he is amenable to handling and you can do so safely, you can try more lube and the above. But if he struggles or you cannot replace it, then you do need to consider getting vet aid since we'd risk the penis tissue dying if not addressed urgently.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.