Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Yorkie just got sprayed in face by skunk. What do I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

While the encounter with the skunk is likely to be unpleasant both for Paco and yourself thankfully it is usually not a dangerous situation, if the eyes or mouth are affected { eye discharge or drooling from the mouth } all you usually have to do is to thoroughly irrigate them with luke warm water and repeat it an hour later.

Of course once you have dealt with the eyes you will have the smell to contend with. There are a number of remedies to get rid of the smell both commercial and home remedies, but please understand that probably none of them are 100% effective but here are some tips :

1. Wash your dog as soon as possible after the skunk spray so that nothing dries into his coat.

2. Shower your dog in some way and rinse him really well, do not bath him as the smell will be in the bath water but the shower will eliminate it more quickly.

3. Use dawn dish soap or other soap and let it soak in for 30 minutes but keep his coat moist during this time, and then rinse your dog really well and repeat the process twice. { Dawn seems to be best }

4. Finally use a commercial odour eliminator designed for this purpose if you have one available or you can buy one at a vet or good pet store in your area tomorrow.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.