Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a baby rabbit a week ago. She has been a little

Customer Question

My dog ate a baby rabbit a week ago. She has been a little lethargic most of the week, but is now warm to the touch with a little labored breathing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please text the answer to my cell phone at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Since she ate the rabbit, has she had any vomiting, diarrhea, straining to pass stool or belly pain?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She vomited for a day or so, but that has stopped. Yes it does appear she is keeping water down. Her gums are pink. Her respirations are 30. There does not seem to be any discomfort, or tenderness in her belly. We have three dogs and I have not followed her into the yard to see if she has diarrhea. She does seem to have a little more energy today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now with this ingestion being a week ago and her not having any of those GI signs I asked about, we'd not assume that what she ate has caused any blockages. As well, despite her breathing looking labored, the breathing rate you have reported is normal and those pink gums tell us that she is oxygenating fine. Therefore, she is not giving you any immediate clues of anything worrisome. Therefore, if anything, we'd just be a wee bit concerned to whether that ingestion introduced some bacteria to cause a GI bug to develop or whether there is something else afoot.
With all this in mind and you noting that Teddie seems brighter today, I would just advise monitoring at this stage. You can also starts some GI supportive care to make sure that we are tackling any GI upset. To do so, you can start her on a light diet for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Further to this, if she does seem nauseous at all, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, Teddie's breathing is normal and if she is perking up, then we'd be most suspicious of a possible bacterial bug getting her down. Therefore, since we had this recent odd ingestion, I would just suggest using the above and monitoring her at this point to see if this settles and she gets back to feeling like herself.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Teddie. How is everything going?
nekovet