Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 10 year old male bichon has developed a growth in the

Customer Question

My 10 year old male bichon has developed a growth in the inner, upper corner of his right eye. It sort of resembles a spherical, red blood blister. He doesn't scratch it, but he does rub his face on the carpet. We've been cleaning the area around his eye with warm water and vasoline.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry that Oscar has this new growth. The primary concern is something like a sty since it is not troubling Oscar but with his age it could potentially be something more concerning such as a tumor
I definitely would not advise continuing the vaseline at this point which can be an irritant to the eye. You can use a saline flush for contact lenses to flush the eye and the cloth to wipe it clean. In addition putting a moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applying it can help with the irritation
Lastly benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours will help with the redness and irritation but it might cause mild sedation initially.
I would advise taking a photo tonight of the area with a coin or ruler next to the lump to monitor size and if it is still present on Monday or is growing then please have your veterinarian evaluate the area to ensure medical intervention is not required. Sometimes these lumps can rub the cornea and cause a corneal ulceration which can be terribly painful but if it is not improving your vet might want to prescribe a topical medication to quiet down the irritation and possibly shrink the lump
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!