Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

My old dog got excited to see me and (yorkie) just ran into me and fell down, he couldn�

Customer Question

my old dog got excited to see me and (yorkie) just ran into me and fell down, he couldn't get up after that. he yelped which he usually doesn't do and had problems controlling his front limbs. I got him to move/ walk but he is having problems holing his own weight. he broke a rib last year and its making me extra concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine.
I'd like to ask you a few questions if I may.
Does it seem that he is favoring one front limb more than the other?
Any crying out when you run your hands over him? gently pressing on all 4 limbs, one at a time, then down along his neck and back.
Is he able to move his head around normally and seemingly without stiffness?
Is he holding up any limb (even intermittently)?
Is he trembling?
Willing to eat?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. he is not favoring one limb over the other. he cant hold is weight up even on both legs.
2. he is not crying out including when i tested his legs/ back. but is shaking quite a bit and does not want to be left alone.
- also his head move up/ down fine but not as well side to side.
3. there was some holing up of both legs intermittently but now he has stopped. he just slides down onto the floor now and is not trying to walk.
4. he is trembling quite a bit and even peed a little while i tested his legs.
5. i gave him a little treat and he ate it, but was still shaking.
- any other things i should test?
like i said before i am worried cuz he broke a rib a while back and because when he fell he could not get up/ maneuver out of the twisted position he was stuck in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i am just taking back over from the dog sitter. she just told he has been having trouble walking/ tripping over his front legs for a few days now.
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks.
I would be worried about a possible neck problem.
Spinal problems can include trauma, compressed or ruptured disc, even tumors.
Pressure on the portion of the spinal cord in the neck can lead to difficulty/pain in moving the head (side to side and/or up and down) a stiff or weak gait, and problems using the front limbs, including difficulty supporting body weight.
Trembling can be due to discomfort and/or anxiety.
This does not sound like a fractured rib to me, but it does sound like he needs a complete and thorough physical and neurological examination as soon as possible. It is possible your veterinarian will want to take xrays.
Any time there is possible pressure on the spinal cord it is an emergency, as even a small increase in such pressure can lead to paralysis.
Treatment depends upon what exactly is causing the problem and how severe.
See the following:
http://www.vetmedclinic.com/?p=245
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2785
Do not give any medication (especially for pain) as your veterinarian may wish to administer medication and this could interfere not only with his interpretation but with treatment. Hope this helps.
Kindly,
Dr, Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Elaine