Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has three distinct "fatty" (swollen) ring around her

Customer Question

My dog has three distinct "fatty" (swollen) ring around her tail where it attaches to the body. Also, major flea issues.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry no one picked up your question earlier. Because of this the question has been open to other categories.
Is the area open and oozing?
Is the dog chewing the area?
Is this a dog that stays outside or inside most of the tme?
What have you done for the fleas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The area is closed and appears to not bother her. I have not seen her chewing the area but she has been attacking the fleas that find her tail. Right above the area she has a large "Hot Spot". She is mostly an indoor dog, but the flea activity is alot worse after she has been out.
As far as flea treatment, I have tried everything out there (without going to the vet) I finally have found some relief with K9 advantage II.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. The spot on drops usually work well, but stay away from the over the counter sergeants type stuff. Your vet can prescribe a pill that will kill the fleas on her right away. It is capstar. What I suspect is also a flea allergy.This comes form the dog being allergic to the flea's saliva. So a flea need only bite once to cause a huge months long worth of scratching and hair loss before you see any improvement, even after the fleas are gone. For the hot spot the hair around it needs to be shaved off because these need to be washed daily with antibacterial soap , dried very well, and then a triple antibiotic ointment applied. In some instances an oral antibiotic or a spray antibiotic will be needed from your vet. Keep the dog from accessing the spot by keeping an Elizabethan collar on her. I find the comfy cone works well and will last you ten years as opposed to the plastic cone types. Hot spots have to stay dry and free from bacteria to heal.