How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11374
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 8 month old ate a soft magnet when I was out..I foun some

Customer Question

My 8 month old ate a soft magnet when I was out..I foun some of the pieces. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Depending on the size of the magnet and its strength hopefully she will have no issues with this ingestion. It sounds like Maddie chewed it prior to swallowing which is a good sign... If this is a weaker magnet, I wouldn't expect it to cause many problems. Of course, you do need to see if most of it was vomited back up. The problem with stronger magents that are in multiple pieces is that you might have two pieces in various parts of the intestines that might stick together through the intestine walls and lead to damage. If this was a weaker magnet, then that would not be likely to occur. You will need to monitor her closely for additional vomiting, loss of appetite and inability to defecate. If these occur, you will need to have her seen by your vet. this might indicate an obstruction is present.http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspxDefinitely try and determine if all the magnet has been vomited up and if not, check the fecal matter for several days to ensure it is expelled. You might switch to a bland bulking diet to give her stomach a break. Boiled chicken and rice works well for this purpose. In addition increasing her leash walks 15-30 minutes three times daily to increase motility of the gut and help move the pieces through. I would continue monitoring for about 72 hours to be on the safe side and if she is acting normally, eating and defecating, then she should be ok.But if there is continued vomiting the next 24 hours, lethargy, reduced appetite I would advise having her seen to ensure there is no concern for an obstruction or the intestinal perforation from two pieces getting stuck togetherPlease let me know any additional questions I can assist with today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I was checking in on you and Maddie to see if she passed the magnet she ingested? I would love an update when you are able...Thank you!