Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had surgery 8 weeks ago and developed MRSA.. They just

Customer Question

My dog had surgery 8 weeks ago and developed MRSA.. They just ran a culture on her to see if the MRSA is gone and it still shows positive so they told me she is probably a carrier. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?? Is she dangerous to my grandchildren? My sister and daughters dogs? Now my boyfriend is upset to have his grandkids aroung her!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. Having a MRSA infected or colonized dog is not necessarily a high risk situation, but certain precautions need to be taken to limit the spread of the bacteria. Keep in mind that there is a difference between MRSA infection and MRSA colonization, and that very likely, even if other dog or people in the house are exposed to it, doesn't mean they will get sick or show signs of infection as most healthy individuals only colonize the bacteria, just as we do many other we are exposed to and eventually our bodies will clear it. That doesn't mean we should not take extra hygiene precautions though. First and foremost is getting her infection under control. Your vet will use the culture and sensitivity results to see what antibiotic may be effective and that she can tolerate. Sometimes the infections can be cleared with topicals versus oral, especially if it is an incision, but your vet will be better able to advise. If she is at the point here she is no longer infected, but colonized, then it is her mouth.nose and rectal area that is of most concern. I am attaching a link that reviews MRSA in great detail with practical advice as how to limit risk until she clears the bacteria. Everyone around her need not panic, but just needs to be smart. If there are young kids in the environment, it is best to limit exposure for now or most certainly do not leave them unattended with her so that you can monitor any contact. Here is the link. LINK HERE I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Dr Z