Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Boxer has an episode of tucking head and tail and slight trembling - s

Customer Question

Boxer has an episode of tucking head and tail and slight trembling - something uncomfortable going on. Two days in a row around mid-day. Has been fine during daytime and overnight outside these episodes.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear Beans is having these episodes in the middle of the day. I can give you some basic guidelines but if the episodes continue I would advise a veterinary exam
- Try to videotape an episode so your veterinarian will be able to view what he is doing
- If there is any change in his salivation or if he is licking lips this might be an episode of nausea. Giving 1 pepcid (famotidine) 20 mg about an hour prior to the time in which he has been doing this the past few days should help and if it does do the pepcid for 3-5 days then discontinue. Try feeding a small snack with the pepcid as well
- If there is no drooling but his gums are pale, his respiratory rate (breaths per minute while laying there) is > 60 then this could be a heart related condition
- If he is not responsive to you if you call his name then I would worry about small seizure episodes. Unlikely but wanted to mention the possibility
- Lastly if he is stiff with a saw horse stance this could potentially be neck pain. If he is responsive during the episode try moving his head side to side and up/ down to monitor for a response
The best thing is to try videotaping his episodes and having your vet review them if they continue but hopefully the information I have provided gives you a guideline of what to look for and how to test the level of concern. I would also be using a one to ten scale for his responsiveness, pain, etc. One being none at all and very normal and ten being non responsive and most severe pain...
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope these episodes stop for you both soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and Beans are after you asked your question the other day. How is Beans doing? Did the symptoms resolve? I would love an update when you are able...