Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our dog run "floor" is of pea gravel. Our 4 yr old golden ha

Customer Question

Our dog run "floor" is of pea gravel. Our 4 yr old golden has been eating the gravel. This is escalating. His stools are full of gravel. Do I need to remove the gravel? And what do I replace it with?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear no one has assisted you yet today. Unfortunately when a dog is ingested the pea gravel this is a very high risk of a foreign body obstruction so yes it should be removed asap to minimize this risk The ideal scenario is a cement run for him to prevent ingestion of foreign materials which could potentially lead to an obstruction. As long as the run is covered so the sun is not hitting it directly this would be the best material for this situation. Using anything else will increase risk of complicationsI hope this information is helpful and again I apologize that no one has assisted you yet today. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!