Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My dog has pyometra and I cant afford the vet treatment. What can I do

Customer Question

My dog has pyometra and I cant afford the vet treatment. What can I do at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. Unfortunately, there are no treatments for pyometra that you could do at home and ***pyometra is a dangerous and LIKELY FATAL illness if not aggressively treated*** While antibiotics are a good idea as part of the treatment, they are unlikely to be enough to resolve the issue. To elaborate, there are two kinds of pyometra: open and closed. If she is draining pus from her vagina, this is an open pyometra and aggressive medical therapy might be enough. However, that aggressive therapy will need specific antibiotic therapy, as well as likely supportive therapy such as fluids. Even then, surgery still remains the best option. If she is not draining, she likely has a closed pyometra. This means the infection is stuck in her uterus- ***surgical treatment is necessary if it is a closed pyometra*** Pyometra is a serious illness that leaves the dog feeling very, very sick, until they ultimately die if not treated. ***I therefore have to strongly urge you to seek veterinary care or consider humanely euthanizing at your vet's, to prevent her from suffering*** While I can certainly understand the financial difficulties with this and sympathize with how stressful this situation must be, there unfortunately just is not any other answer. Thank you for your answer- please feel free to respond with additional questions. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time (I am not compensated in any other way). Thank you,Dr. Drea

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea