Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Dr. Deb.... I have a 14 year old pup that has chronic Ehrliciosis

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Deb.... I have a 14 year old pup that has chronic Ehrliciosis and started showing symptoms again 4 days ago... blood test done 7 days ago was normal.... but then after a few days, she began to walk slowly coming back from the lake, and I thought that she had hurt her leg (she has a bum front leg) so she always limps anyways... then I thought (because of her age) it could have been something like arthritis... but then she stopped eating, and didnt want to get up, and her eyes started to redden, and all the other symptoms that I recognize when the Ehrlichia comes back. So the vet came to my house (we live in rural mexico) and perscribed Doxy AGAIN.... but that was 3.5 days ago, and normally she will show signs of improvment right away, shes not... do you think shes immune to the doxy? Shes been on it on and off her whole life....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has improved since the other day (just a little)... now she will accept food (but shes picky) and shes drinking on her own... that first day I had to force her....Last night, I thought she was dying... she was trembling really bad... this morning, she still doesnt want to walk, but I dont know if its because of that bum leg making things more difficult than usual.... or if the Doxy is just not working....
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me but I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you did so.
I agree that I would have expected her to have shown significant improvement by now as she has done in the past.
I don't necessarily think that she's immune to the Doxy but
my concern is the chronic nature of this condition.
The prognosis for dogs with chronic Ehrlichia isn't as good as for those with acute disease, unfortunately. Even though blood was normal about one week ago, it may not be now.
If it's repeated and all of her cells lines are low, then the prognosis is not good that she's going to get past this episode although it gives me no pleasure to say so:(
It may be prudent to repeat the bloodwork if possible to see if her blood work is abnormal.
It's possible that there are other infectious agents at play here or something else is going on since her response is so atypical from her past events.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb