DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Are there any dangers in mixing horse feed with dog food

Customer Question

Hi, are there any dangers in mixing horse feed with dog food to help bulk them up? Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. To put it plainly, I really don't think this is a good idea nor one that will work. Whether you are talking about feeding a horse the dog food or the dog the horse feed, it's generally a bad plan. Dogs are omnivores and horses are herbivores with hind gut fermentation. The digestive systems and nutritional requirements are completely different. The dog could get extremely gassy and bloated and sick from eating the highly fibrous and hard to digest (for a dog) various grains. A horse can not readily digest animal proteins. I don't know that it would make them sick but it wouldn't do anything helpful. Stick to dog food for dogs and horse feed for horses. I hope this helps. Best of luck.