Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My puppy ate some kinda plant from our back yard im not sure

Customer Question

My puppy ate some kinda plant from our back yard im not sure what kind and started vomiting and diarrhea he's drinking water but will not eat this has been going on for four days what csn I do to help him? Im on a fixed income and can not afford vet bills
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How old is your puppy? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Any blood in the stool? 4- Is he lethargic?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is about 4 months old hes four pounds yes he has had bloody stools not anymore and yes hes lethargic
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are pink hes been able to keep water down the last few hours still not hungry though
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, certainly eating plants can cause vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Other possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections (parvo), etc. to name a few causes. I really do understand your financial limitations; I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- To avoid hypoglycemia give him 1-2 teaspoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup directly into his mouth every 4-5 hours if he refuses the food below. 3- Keep him on rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. If possible blend the food and force feed him small amount with a dropper. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter