Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 13 yr old basenji has been whimpering and uneasy and can't sleep. He just finished

Customer Question

My 13 yr old basenji has been whimpering and uneasy and can't sleep. He just finished antibiotics for teeth cleaning. I gave him a very small dose 1/4 tab of 50 mg tramadol as I thought he might have pain. That did nothing. This is unusual behavior. Could he have a side effect to the antibiotic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I give him Benadryl with the 1/4 tab tramadol?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What antibiotic was he on?
How much does he weigh?
Any gagging, retching, lip licking or excessive grass eating? Any vomiting?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Has he been passing normal stools?
Do you think he is itchy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tossed the antibiotic bottle this morning since we finished the med. I can't recall it now.He weighs 128. He doesn't seem itchy, but he shakes his head a bit. No vomiting, gagging, etc. gums are fine. Normal stools. He could have eaten something. We are in an apt and he gets his mouth in the bushes sometimes. No tensing in the stomach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were in the desert this weekend and he did get into a cactus and he licked some of the thorns. I did worry about that a bit - getting into his mouth.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If he has been on an antibiotic all week without effects, this is unlikely to be causing adverse issues at this stage. As well, if he was exposed to the cactus last weekend, it is also a bit late to see signs from that.
Now I would note that if you think he is irritated with his ears, you can try gently flushing them with cool water or saline (ie plain contact lens solution). This can reduce irritation, help flush anything caught, and get that a wee bit more comfortable for you.
Otherwise, I am glad that he isn't showing any of those signs, but we do need to monitor him closely. You could use Benadryl at this stage, but it is more a treatment for allergies or itchiness. So, if he isn't showing signs suggestive of that, it may not be of any benefit for him. That said, I would just note that if he is 128lbs, then the dose of Tramadol you gave was well under the dose we use for dogs his size and thus that quarter will not be doing anything at all. So, if you thought he was sore and that was why he cannot settle; then you can consider trying a proper dose while monitoring him. For his weight, he can actually have 116mg as a minimum dose of Tramadol. So, you could give him another 2x50mg tablets at this point (or try one and use the other if needed). This is a good pain relief and will likely make him a bit sleepy so that he can settle. Of course, while using this, we do want to keep a close eye on him. If we find he doesn't settle or develops any further signs, then we'd want to plan a check with is vet to make sure there is nothing lurking in those ears or anywhere else.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )