Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

How does colloidal silver applied topically kill fleas? is

Customer Question

how does colloidal silver applied topically kill fleas? is i effective ingested?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for writing in...Unfortunately, colloidal silver is not effective in preventing fleas or ticks. Depending on formulation, colloidal silver may also be toxic when ingested, so I would not use it in either form, topical or oral. There is a lot of information out there (on the Internet) with claims of efficacy and safety of colloidal silver, but unfortunately, there is no evidence that colloidal silver is effective for any condition and there are some reports of toxicities that have resulted from direct ingestion (when an owner gave something to their pet by mouth) or indirectly, by the pet licking it off their skin....I hope this helps; please let me know if you have any additional questions!This is a link to an article from Mayo Clinic with information on colloidal silver in use for humans and the same applies for pets as well: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good evening, you have confirmed my suspicions, I could find testimony but no clear details on how it worked. thank you .
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome! Please let me know if you have any additional questions and please be sure to rate my service if you have found it helpful. Take care!