Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 14 year old mixed bred has been diagnosed with spindle cell

Customer Question

my 14 year old mixed bred has been diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma and we have opted to keep him comfortable with a Tramadol prescription. We are starting to run low, 1 week left, should we refill or is it time for euthanasia? Our dog sleeps all day and only eats when hand fed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry for this diagnosis, I am sure it has been difficult to digest this information. I can give you some great handouts to help with this terrible decision. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes, meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/Pain assessment handout: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdfI know this is a terribly difficult decision to make and I hope this information is helpful. Some areas in the country do have hospice care that can help guide you in this decision making process. There is a list of options below for you to review:http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/diagnostic-and-support/argus/pet-hospice/Pages/pet-hospice-resources.aspxPlease let me know anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult decision. Any questions or concerns I can assist with to clarify how to make this decision please don't hesitate to ask and please disregard any automated follow up questions by the site If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I thought I would check in on you both again to see if you had any additional questions in regards ***** ***** dog? Did you refill the tramadol? Was my information helpful to you?
If there is anything else I can do please don't hesitate to ask...