Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I gave my 5lb chichucha to much flea med. He isnt acting right.

Customer Question

I gave my 5lb chichucha to much flea med. He isnt acting right. Whiny, chills, dizzy, not drinking alot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.I am sorry to hear that your Chihuahua is not feeling well after receiving flea preventative. Some dogs are quite sensitive to the feeling of the flea product on their skin. IN that situation, using a dish soap (Dawn, etc) to thoroughly bathe the application area, and a good rinse, may help improve the situation. In more serious cases, some products can cause internal reactions, that won't be resolved by removing the residue from the skin. Especially with some of the older or cheaper types of flea prevention, this is more likely. Newer products, and those sold through veterinary sources, are typically less likely to create an adverse reaction. If removing the residue via the dish soap bath does not help within 24 hours, then a veterinary examination would recommended. It is possible that supportive care such as fluids and/or an anti inflammatory may be useful. If vet care is not available, you could try a dose of Benadryl, 2 mL of the children's liquid, every 12 hours, to see if it helps at all.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Erin Parker. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew