Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 13 yr. old Doxie, Chloe, has gone blind. She is scheduled

Customer Question

My 13 yr. old Doxie, Chloe, has gone blind. She is scheduled to have surgery to remove eyes next week. She is already so withdrawn and insecure since we discovered her condition, that I fear I will be keeping her alive, without her having the quality of life she has enjoyed up to this point. Can she adjust to her lost sight and be happy and enjoy life again. I want to do what's best for her. I'm retired and she has been my constant companion since she was 6 weeks old. I am so torn, as to the best thing for her
J. Willett
Orlando, FL
Thank you, ***** ***** for your assistance.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did she go blind?
Why did she? Did she have glaucoma or high blood pressure? Or direct damage to her eyes?
Since the bladder stones have likely been present for a while (and can be painful) was she subdued before blindness developed?
What medications is she currently on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, she was diagnosed wityh glaucoma, as the cause of her blindness. I really didn't notice much change prior to our noticing that her eyes ere bloodshot. She is not a real peppy girl since I'm disabled and don't get around much, she's just adapted her lifestyle to me, snuggling in bed with me. I'll get her med's now ... she just did finish taking Metcam 1.5mg/ml oral suspension and is still taking neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and bacitracin zinc ophthalmic ointment usp, and ciprofloxacin jn addition to her other, heart, flea, and arthritis over the counter meds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am afraid that I cannot offer the services you have requested at this time. Please let me know if you would like to continue our conversation in this Q&A session or if you would prefer me to opt out and see if a colleague can offer this (at an additional fee) for you.
Otherwise, if you do want to continue discussing Chloe's situation with me, can you tell me if she was perkier when she was on the Metacam?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, my question, is quite simple. Is it likely that , if Chloe has both surgeries, eyes and kidney stone removal, that she, at 13, will regain her confidence, at least around the house, or are we, putting off the inevitable by, maybe a year or so, since I have not had, out of the five (5) Doxie's I've had, none have lived past 13.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
As both glaucoma and kidney/bladder stones are known to be excruciatingly painful (the latter even being compared to giving birth when reported by people), I do feel that Chloe will respond well to surgery. And I can speak from personal experience that I have had dog patients with glaucoma that get a new lease on life when we remove those painful eyes. So, as long as you don't move your furniture too often (which would prevent her from establishing the layout of the house), she should do just fine coping in the house and we'd expect to see a brighter wee lass after these two focuses of severe pain are removed.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

nekovet