Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My doxiepoo pooped nothing but blood, twice once around 11:00

Customer Question

My doxiepoo pooped nothing but blood, twice once around 11:00 pm and at 4:00 am. She didn't get into anything. She didn't want to eat. Her stomach is rumbling and she is passing gas more than normal. She has been eating Science Diet, but noticed she started to scratch like crazy...no flies. I changed her back to Rachel Ray, which was what she had been eating all along without any trouble.
She did meet a black garden variety snake yesterday morning when she went to do her business. I her her either yelp or growl at the skinny 18 inch snake. I looked at her paws and didn't see any blood.
Please let me know what I need to do. I plan on taking her to the vets first thing in the morning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are you sure there are no punctures present from snake bites?
Was it a potentially venomous one?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Is she up to date on her vaccines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bites, and not venomous. Her gums are pink and moist. There is no noise from her when I press on her belly. She is up to date on her vaccines. No she hasn't eaten anything that I am aware. She is a garbage thief! She had been throwing on Monday twice; however I wasn't home to observe it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I am glad that it was a harmless snake so we do not need to be panicked about the risk of envenomation (which would be an emergency situation). As well, it is good news that her gums are nice and pink. That is of particular importance to us since significant gut blood loss tends to pale the gums. So, we do need to keep an eye on that but it is positive that it is normal at this stage. Of course, while that is a positive, if she is a garbage thief and was vomiting prior to the hemorrhagic diarrhea; we do still need to tread with care with Sammi.
Now in regards ***** ***** for her signs, the common triggers for hemorrhagic diarrhea are parvo (hopefully less likely here since she a vaccinated adult), hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, parasite infections (coccidia, Giardia, etc), bacterial infections (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc) and when they have eaten something that is causing harm to the gut.
In regards ***** ***** here, at the moment, we just need to keep her calm and can start some supportive care. Since she isn't keen on water, gassy, and has had vomiting, nausea is a major concern. Therefore, I would note that you can treat her upper GI upset with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are
* Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
* Tagamet ( http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
*Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac.
Typically, this is given 30 minutes before food to be absorbed and in effect before offering food. Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once this has had a chance to take effect, you can then try her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients into her. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further reduce the level of nausea she may be experiencing and also aid her gut absorbing this to reduce her diarrhea.
Since profuse diarrhea can quickly dehydrate our dogs, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill). And I would just note that we can hopefully get Sammi drinking once we settle her stomach, but do not want to push fluids via syringe if she is nauseous (since that is more likely to make her vomit again).
Finally, while it is always tempting, I do want to note that we need to avoid anti-diarrheal treatment until her vet diagnoses the cause for this diarrhea. The reason is because slowing gut passage of stool is actually contraindicated for those viruses and bacteria (since slowing down gut transit would give them a better chance to grow or secrete toxins in the gut). Therefore, we'd want to get her stomach settled and use the light diet to reduce how much diarrhea she needs to pass until her vet can diagnose this and start her on further treatment (ie antibiotics).
Overall, I do share your concern about Sammi. As long as those gums are pink and that belly is comfortable; we can use the above until her vet is open. But once they are, it would be best for her to have a check with them. If possible, do bring a fresh stool sample (or at least a photo) so they can see what is passing +/- test if need be. Depending on which of the above is present, they hopefully will just need to start her on antibiotics to settle this and get her feeling better.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )