Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog went to the vet today hot spot they gave us prednisone 20 mg and told me to

Customer Question

Our dog went to the vet today for a hot spot they gave us prednisone 20 mg and told me to give him 1 1/2 pills every 12 hours. My wife thought it said 5 pills and gave him 5 he is 140 lb newfoundland, so I was woried this may hurt him? He had also been given 3 cephalexin 500 mg each that he is to take every 12 hours so it has been 12 hours and we are also worried if we should give him anything more after the 5 pills?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now that was a very large dose for Hoss, even at his size, but it is not a toxic one. Instead, it is more an immunosuppressive level dose. So, we'd not be worried about severe harm but would need to appreciate that we could see some adverse signs. The main ones are that he may really show increased thirst/urination/hunger, but we could also see some stomach upset +/- ulceration.
Therefore, to offset this, I would advise giving him a 24 hour break from the steroids and plan to treat with an antacid to offset the possible GI signs. There are a number of antacids on the market that are pet friendly, but the 2 I tend to advise are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These can be given 20 minutes before food every 12 hours. Afterwards, consider giving a few small frequent meals over the course of the day (as opposed to 1-2 large ones) to just further give the stomach acid something else to chew on while we are letting this dose run its course.
Finally, while doing this, we'd just want to keep an eye that Hoss has no belly discomfort, vomiting, black stool, or paling gums. I don't expect you to see those signs but if we did they would be red flags of an ulcer and we'd need to update his vet so that can be treated for him.
Overall, this is a high dose but not a poisonous one. Therefore, we'd just want to use the above at this stage while we monitor him. And after the 24 hour break, you can restart the proper steroid dose if the hot spot has been itchy for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hoss. How is everything going?

nekovet